After connecting your publications to Google Analytics it will start tracking page views and events.
Page views include the pages or spreads of the publications that have been viewed as well as the products that have been selected to load into the Product hotspots (Gold and Enterprise).
Every action that a visitor takes in order to navigate through or interact with the content is logged as an event.
You can find these at Behavior > Events > Top Events:
Each event is stored in a category. If you click on any of the categories you will find more details about the actions that were logged. Each event can only go three levels deep (category > action > label) so some parts have been divided into different categories. For example, product hotspots are both tracked under hotspots or hotspots with icons, to report the number of clicks, as well as under products that lists the specific actions that can be executed inside the popup layer.
Below you can find an overview of the different categories that are tracked by the Google Analytics integration along with a short description of what actions you can find if you dive in deeper:
- basic navigation = All events that involve navigating through the catalogs pages is logged in this category (e.g. switching pages, zooming and panning)
- hotspots = This category contains clicks on hotspots which don't have the hotspot icon enabled (read more)
- hotspots with icons = This category contains clicks on hotspots which also have the hotspot icon enabled (read more)
- products = All events that take place within the default product hotspot overlay are recorded in here
- search = Use this category to find out what words visitors looked up inside the publication (NOTE: Each keyboard stroke is tracked separately)
- video_played = Here you can find which videos that have actually started playing
- overview = When the page overview option is selected in the viewer's menu an event is logged which is registered in here.
- iframed = When a publication is embedded onto a webpage and an event is logged which is collected under this category (this event is also logged when you click on the "Open" button under publications embedded using the embed code)
- browser zoom = When a user has browser zoom enabled an event is logged under this category
- drawer = On mobile devices the menu is hidden behind a, so called, hamburger icon. When this icon is clicked the menu slides in which triggers the drawer event