The following instructions will help you set up a Custom Report in Google Analytics to track the number of link clicks per page. The report will include Link hotspots only.
Once set up, you can always find and access the Custom Report at Customizations > Custom Reports.
Using Segments you are able to filter the data for one publication only (click here to learn more about using segments).
Creating the Custom Report:
- Access your Google Analytics account and select the property that tracks your online publications.
- Go to Customizations > Custom Reports and click on New Custom Report.
- Use the image below and copy over the illustrated settings, from top to bottom:
- Title: Link hotspot clicks per page
- Name: Link hotspots
- Metrics Groups: Total Events > Unique Events
- Dimension Drilldowns: Page Title > Event Label
- Filters: Include - Event Action - Exact - external links
- Click Save.
Adding a link from Dashboards to the Custom Report
If you are using Google Analytics' Dashboards, or you installed our preset dashboard, and you have a widget installed that already presents data on link clicks, you can have the widget point to the new Custom Report. By adding a link to the widget you can click on it to go deeper into the selected data.
- Go to Customizations > Dashboards and select the dashboard.
- Edit the preferred widget by clicking on the small pencil icon.
- Locate the Link to Report or URL at the bottom and type in "Custom Reports".
- A list of suggestions will appear from which you select the one with the name you've given to your Custom Report.
- Click Save. The title of the widget should now be clickable.