The following instructions will help you set up a Custom Report in Google Analytics to track the number of link clicks per page. The report will include both the pages of the publication, which contain Link hotspots, as well as product pages that popup when you click on a Product hotspot (Gold and higher) which contain the call to action button that points to your site.
Once set up, you can find and access the Custom Report at Customization > Custom Reports.
Using Segments you are able to filter the data for one publication only (click here to learn more about using segments).
Creating the Custom Report:
- Go to Customization > Custom Reports and click on New Custom Report
- Enter a title for the Custom report, like 'Clicks per Page'
- Enter a name for the report tab, like 'Pages with Link Clicks'
- Select Total Events and Unique Events as the Metric Groups
- Select Page Title and Event Label as the Dimension Drilldowns
- By adding the Page Title as the first dimension the report you can report the link clicks per publication-page. If you select Event Label as the only dimension the report will generate a list of all links clicked.
- Create the following Filter: Include > Event Action > Regex > external links|call to action
- If you don't use Product hotspots, use Include > Event Action > Exact > external links
- Click Save
Use Segments to filter the data for one specific publication.
Creating a Custom Report that shows all link clicks per page
Adding a link from Dashboards to the Custom Report
If you are using Google Analytics' Dashboards, or you installed our ready-to-go dashboard, and you have a widget installed that already presents data on link clicks, you can have the widget point to the new Custom Report. By adding a link to the widget you can click on it to go deeper into the selected data.
Go to Customizations > Dashboards and select the dashboard. Edit the preferred widget by clicking on the small pencil icon and locate the Link to Report or URL at the bottom. When you type in 'Custom Reports' a list of suggestions will appear from which you select the one with the name you've given to your Custom Report. After saving the changes the title of the widget will be clickable and point to the custom report for more in-depth insight.