Track an array of activity statistics using the Universal Analytics integration, available in Publitas.
For example, you can track Sessions, Page views, Unique visitors and Hotspot clicks.
Connect Google Analytics to Publitas
To connect your Publitas account to Google Analytics:
- Log in or sign up for Google Analytics
From the Admin screen, create a new "Property"
- Chose and submit a name for your property
- Select your timezone and currency
- Click to Show advanced options and select Create a Universal Analytics property
- Type in view.publitas.com for the Website URL
- Check the box at Create a Universal Analytics property only and click on Next
- Submit your business details and click on Create
- Copy the number you'll find beneath Tracking ID in the resulting screen (it should be formatted like so: UA-XXXXXX-YY)
- Now access your Publitas account, click on the three dots on the top left, next to the group name, and select Settings
- Go to the Google Analytics tab, click on Add Tracking ID and paste the number you copied in step 7
- Save the changes to complete the setup
Configure Custom Dimension for better reporting
To help create useful reports and dashboards the pageview configuration also sends over the publication name, page number, product name and group name to GA as custom dimensions. These can be used to, for example, filter the data for a specific publication or list the page numbers in your reports.
- Go to the Admin section of Google Analytics
- Select the correct GA property (middle column) and open Custom Definitions > Custom Dimensions
- Add the following Custom Dimensions in order:
- Publication (Scope: Session)
- Page (Scope: Hit)
- Link (Scope: Hit)
- Product (Scope: Hit)
- Group (Scope: Session)
Configure Custom Dimensions in GA:
- It can take up to 24 hours before your first results are visible in Google Analytics.
- Google Analytics is connected on the group level. If you are on an Enterprise plan, make sure to set up the Google Analytics connection for any new groups you create as well.
- The fourth custom dimension, product name, is logged when a Product hotspot is active(d) which is available in the Gold and Enterprise plan.
- Tracking group names, the fifth custom dimension, is helpful when you're on the Enterprise plan and you track multiple groups of publications using a single property.
- If you are on the or plan you only have to configure the first three custom dimensions.
- When you're embedding online publications the tracking cookie is classified as a third party cookie. We configured the GA integration to ensure that the cookie is not blocked by default when Chromium browsers are used, notably Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge.
- If an end-user chooses a very secure browser like Brave, or proactively change the preferences of their browser to actively block cookies, no tracking will occur for that specific user.