Track an array of activity statistics using the Universal Analytics integration, available in Publitas.
For example, you can track Sessions, Page views, Unique visitors and Hotspot clicks.
In this article you'll learn how to:
- Connect Google Analytics to Publitas
- Configure Custom Dimension for better reporting
- Start reporting
- A few more things to consider
Connect Google Analytics to Publitas
To connect your Publitas account to Google Analytics:
- Log in or sign up for Google Analytics
From the Admin screen, create a new "Property"
- Chose and submit a name for your property
- Select your timezone and currency
- Click to Show advanced options and select Create a Universal Analytics property
- Type in view.publitas.com for the Website URL
- Check the box at Create a Universal Analytics property only and click on Next
- Submit your business details and click on Create
- Copy the number you'll find beneath Tracking ID in the resulting screen (it should be formatted like so: UA-XXXXXX-YY)
- Now access your Publitas account, click on the three dots on the top left, next to the group name, and select Settings
- Go to the Google Analytics tab, click on Add Tracking ID and paste the number you copied in step 7
- Save the changes to complete the setup
Configure Custom Dimension for better reporting
To help create useful reports and dashboards the pageview configuration also sends over the publication name, page number, product name and group name to GA as custom dimensions. These can be used to, for example, filter the data for a specific publication or list the page numbers in your reports.
If you signed up for Publitas before March 18, 2021, please contact support
- Go to the Admin section of Google Analytics
- Select the correct GA property (middle column)
- Choose the option Custom Definitions > Custom Dimensions
- Add the following Custom Dimensions in order:
- Publitas - Publication (Scope: Hit)
- Publitas - Page (Scope: Hit)
- Publitas - Link (Scope: Hit)
- Publitas - Product (Scope: Hit)
- Publitas - Group (Scope: Hit)
Configure Custom Dimensions in GA:
Once the setup is completed your publications will be tracked by Google Analytics. It can take up to 24 hours before the results are available in Google Analytics's standard reports. However, you can use the Realtime > Overview report to check whether the connection is working. Simply preview one of the publications found in the connected group and see if your session pops up in the report.
Use the Realtime report to test the connection:
A few more things to consider:
- When you're embedding online publications the tracking cookie is classified as a third party cookie. We configured the GA integration to ensure that the cookie is not blocked by default when Chromium browsers are used, notably Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge.
- If an end-user chooses a very secure browser like Brave, or proactively change the preferences of their browser to actively block cookies, no tracking will occur for that specific user.
- If you are on the Bronze or Silver plan you only have to configure the first three custom dimensions.
- The fourth custom dimension, product name, is logged when Product hotspots are used, which are available in the Gold and Enterprise plan.
- Tracking group names, the fifth custom dimension, is helpful when you're on the Enterprise plan and you track multiple groups of publications using a single property.